Saturday, July 15, 2017

Have You Made Any Decisions Lately?

We face decisions every day. Some are pretty basic; "What am I going to have for breakfast?" "What am I going to wear?" Stuff like that.

Other decisions can have some serious consequences. "Should I buy that new-to-me car, or wait a little while longer?" "Should I remain at my current job, or start looking elsewhere?"

Then there are questions that have consequences of eternal significance: "Which God am I going to serve?" "How can I handle disappointment?" "To whom should I pray? And when? And why?"

In Scripture, these questions are often worded in such a way as to indicate that the decisions being made are going to bring with them a break - perhaps a permanent one - in some relationships which, up to this point, have been very satisfying, and a source of great blessing.

Joshua, in his speech to the tribes of Israel, revealed his decision in this manner:
"And if it seem evil unto you to serve the LORD, choose you this day whom ye will serve; whether the gods which your fathers served that were on the other side of the flood, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land ye dwell: but as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD." Joshua 24:15 (KJV)

Samuel, speaking to Saul after God had rejected Saul for the throne of Israel, declared:
"Moreover as for me, God forbid that I should sin against the LORD in ceasing to pray for you: but I will teach you the good and the right way:" 1 Samuel 12:23 (KJV)

And David, in Psalm 5, reveals his own personal decision, as well:
"The foolish shall not stand in thy sight: thou hatest all workers of iniquity. 6 Thou shalt destroy them that speak leasing: the LORD will abhor the bloody and deceitful man. 7 But as for me, I will come into thy house in the multitude of thy mercy: and in thy fear will I worship toward thy holy temple." Psalm 5:5-7 (KJV)

These are decisions (and there are others in Scripture, as well) that are going to leave lasting impressions, and are going to drastically change deep, personal relationships.

Such decisions are not to be made lightly. At the same time, one must recognize that circumstances may bring about the necessity of making those decisions. And when the time comes, the decision must be made wholeheartedly. A half-made decision is like a half-baked pie; if eaten, it usually results in a bellyache!

One final illustration for your consideration:
"By faith Abraham, when he was called to go out into a place which he should after receive for an inheritance, obeyed; and he went out, not knowing whither he went. 9 By faith he sojourned in the land of promise, as in a strange country, dwelling in tabernacles with Isaac and Jacob, the heirs with him of the same promise: 10 For he looked for a city which hath foundations, whose builder and maker is God." Hebrews 11:8-10 (KJV)

Do you have some decisions to make today?


No comments:

Post a Comment