Wednesday, September 13, 2017

WHAT ARE THIRD WORLD CHURCHES DOING SO RIGHT, THAT WE ARE DOING SO WRONG?

Every now and then a book comes along that defies reviews.  Or at least makes them extremely challenging.  LESSONS FROM THE EAST:  Finding The Future Of Western Christianity In The Global Church is just one such book.  And I apologize, at the start, for my tardiness in getting this review out.

You see, I started on this book several months ago.  And I couldn’t get into it.  And I picked it up and started it again, and it just wasn’t working.  Well, you know what they say – “third time’s the charm,” right?

Wrong.  I think this is the fifth time I’ve picked up this book.  And I read a quote that I hadn’t seen before . . .and I realized how very important this book actually is to the church in North America.  So . . .I’ve begun it, and this time I’m going to be working it through, because I see so many churches in the pages of these books struggling with the issues Bob Roberts, Jr. addresses.

Oh . . . the quote? 
“In my lifetime the United States has shifted from being the most prolific nation in the world in sending missionaries to being the third most unreached nation in the world.  When I first became a pastor, I didn't realize that I'd become a missionary by staying in America instead of leaving America for a distant land.”
Bob Roberts, Jr.

Something to think about, the next time you pass a church.

5 stars for an extremely challenging, extremely timely book

LESSONS FROM THE EAST:
FINDING THE FUTURE OF WESTERN CHRISTIANITY IN THE GLOBAL CHURCH
Bob Roberts, Jr.
Religion / Christianity / Missionary – Evangelism
ISBN  976-0-7814-1376-3
David C. Cook
$16.99 U.S.


No comments:

Post a Comment