Saturday, February 7, 2015

ROMANCING YOUR BETTER HALF by Rick Johnson

There’s no doubt in my mind that author Rick Johnson knows what he’s talking about, when it comes to discussing marriage and family issues.  He is a best-selling author, the founder of Better Dads, and is a sought-after speaker at many large parenting and marriage conferences across the United States and Canada.  And I’m sure that the information being shared in this latest book was intended to be a means of strengthening the marriages of those who read it.

My main issue with this book was the “commercials.”  I understand that when you’ve been doing something for as long as Rick Johnson, a “routine” develops.  And that’s what I’m getting when I read this book.  I feel as if the author has taken every weekend retreat he has ever done and tried to cram it into one book.  It’s information overload.  The facts and statistics weigh down the book that feels like it should be three times as many pages as it actually is.  And the illustrations and anecdotes are conveyed with the energy of the old joke that everyone has already heard.

The wisdom is there.  I’m struggling to find the wit.  And I fail to feel the passion.


3 ½ stars

ROMANCING YOUR BETTER HALF
Rick Johnson
ISBN 978-0-8007-2234-0
FLMA / Marriage
Revell Publishers
202 pages
$12.99 U.S.

No comments:

Post a Comment